At Manor Park Primary School, we pride ourselves on how our children learn maths. From our two year olds to Year 6, we prepare our children to be resilient, reflective and responsible learners.
We have developed a bespoke maths curriculum that teaches the children to be:
Fluent with maths through-
- Varied and frequent practice of maths fundamentals- mental maths, written calculations
- Increasingly complex problems
- Rapid and accurate recall of mathematical knowledge.
- Learning maths through the CPA approach - Concrete, Pictoral and Abstract
Reason mathematically through-
- Following a line of inquiry
- Developing arguments through mathematical discussion.
- Justify and prove using mathematical language
Solve problems through -
- Applying maths skills to problems with increasing sophistication
- Breaking down problems into a series of smaller steps
- Persevering to seek solutions.
As well as learning in maths lessons, the children are taught to apply their maths through other areas of the curriculum such as: science, DT, computing, history and geography.
In September 2019 we introduced a new calculation pathway, children from Reception to Year 6 will now be using our new pathway, Power Maths. Power Maths follows the most up to date guidance for effectively teaching children efficient written and mental calculation strategies for all 4 operations - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
We also support children and families with maths via the online Timestable games Timestable Rockstars
Please follow the link below to Timestable Rockstars Website. Your child's log in details will be placed in your child's planner.